My kids love pasta! Ok, so who doesn't like pasta? The pasta mixes that come in the box are really tasty, but they are filled with crap that I can't even pronounce. I feel like there is no way to justify giving my family these box pasta mixes, when I can whip up a batch of great tasting, one dish meals like this one. This is super easy and it only took me about 10 minutes to prepare it.
I batch cooked A LOT of chicken on the weekend, so that when I needed to prepare some quick dinners, it was all ready for me! I used about 4 to 5 cooked, chunked chicken thighs. (boneless, skinless). I just took these out of the fridge.
1 box of any pasta
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 cup shredded Parm cheese, plus another small amount for garnish
1 bag broccoli steamers or about 3 cups of fresh broccoli
around 1/3 cup of Olive Oil
about 1 clove of garlic, or more if you like!
Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
1. I started cooking the pasta according to the directions on the box. Any pasta would do, I just happened to have spaghetti.
2. While the pasta is cooking, I put a broccoli steamer in the microwave. 5 minutes should do it! You could use fresh, but again, I wanted to use what I happened to have on hand. I ALWAYS have steamers on hand!
3. While the steamers and pasta are cooking, I heat up a skillet with about a quarter of a cup of olive oil. I do not use EVOO, just straight up olive oil. This seems like a lot, but this is the "sauce" for the dish. Olive oil is healthy! To the oil I put in black pepper ( I use A LOT), salt, and some chopped garlic. Add in your cooked chicken. I like to add red pepper flakes for some heat! Stir the sauce around to coat the chicken and incorporate the spices. Heat until the garlic is cooked.
4. When the pasta is done, drain the water, reserving about a 1/4 of a cup of the pasta water. Put the pasta back in the large pot. Add the steamed broccoli, the chicken and the sauce.
5. Stir the mixture, until all the broccoli and the pasta is coated! YUM! It might need more olive oil and sometimes I might add a little of the pasta water. But I think that I usually end up just adding a bit more olive oil.
6. Stir in about a cup of shredded Parm cheese. You can omit this part, but who would want to omit the cheese?!?!
7. Plate up, and I like to garnish with a bit more black pepper and parm cheese on top!
Viola! A pasta dish that EVERYONE loves! This is one of those meals that there is never any leftovers!
Wholesome and DELISH!
Let me know what you think and if you try it!